Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Review: We Came As Romans - Understanding What We've Grown To Be


I felt like I’d heard about this band for a while but never listened to them. Come to find out, they are a rather new band. Hailing from Troy, Michigan, Understanding What We’ve Grown To Be is only their second major release on Equal Vision Records. This 6-piece has a lot of elements from metal and rock bands, and I had a hard time with this album figuring out the focus. It consistently switches from brutal screaming vocals and harsh guitar breakdowns to clean vocals and what feels like a positive and upbeat chorus. The keyboards add a nice touch of ambience in the songs as well. The drummer transitions well between the styles, but I still feel conflicted. It’s as if this is an A.D.D. style of music: the need for the hardcore every little while to keep the hardcore kids, and the need for the swooning ballad-style choruses to keep that crowd. I did find myself tapping my foot from time to time, but then I would start to wonder which part I was enjoying. Not a bad release by any means, but maybe work on a better structure for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment