Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Chthonic - Takasago Army


Really, you’ve never heard of Chthonic? Ok, I’ll admit it, I hadn’t either. And now, I’m punching myself for just now hearing these guys since they have been making music since 1995. Hailing from Taiwan, these guys incorporate traditional Taiwanese music and instruments together with some flourishing death metal. The best way I can think to describe this is to combine the majestic Dream Theater with the epic Amon Amarth. You have the majority of the album screamed vocals, but it covers the high screech to the lower growls. The drumming is fast and driving. The guitars are strong with many virtuoso tendencies consistently used. But the incorporation of the traditional Taiwanese style music to offset the level of metal high is what sets this album apart. This is musical bliss and a really great listen. Now I just have to go back and get some more of their catalog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment