Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Hackneyed - Carnival Cadavre


This is the first thing I’ve heard from Hackneyed, but what got my attention right off the bat was their name. The word ‘hackneyed’ literally means lacking significance through having been overused (thanks Webster). While the band name is bold, I won’t say that Carnival Cadavre is breaking any new ground. The music is brutal in its overall simplicity. The guitars are crunchy at times and smooth at others, but stay perfectly on beat with the insane drumming. Vocally, it’s your low scream death-style vocals. This album is one I’m enjoying though. Even though it’s death metal, it feels more hardcore at times in the song structures. Like I said, it’s nothing new, but it’s a steady and consistent album, and I think it’s going to hold up over multiple listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment