Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Review: Opeth - Heritage


Opeth is back with their 10th studio release with Heritage. I’d been waiting on this album for a while, so I was stoked to pick it up after work today and immediately throw it in my CD player. I’d just viewed the DVD at Shepherd’s Bush with a friend over the weekend to get ready, and the time had arrived. This album, while great, was not was I was expecting at all. To me, this is a very chill and relaxing journey into peacefulness. I would recommend (if you so indulge) sitting back with a cigar and a glass of scotch and soaking this one in. To be clear, it is a complete tangent from albums like Deliverance or Blackwater Park. Mikael Akerfeldt’s strong soulful lyrics convey waves of emotion and feeling throughout the album. It’s hard for me to pull out a standout track since it really feels like the album is one solid piece. If I had to, ‘Slither’ is dedicated to the memory of Ronnie James Dio so that gets my vote. Get the CD, give yourself an hour to just relax, and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment