Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review: Machine Head - Unto The Locust


After what many claim to be their favorite Machine Head album to date (The Blackening), the San Fran thrashers are back with Unto The Locust. I won’t lie: I was apprehensive about this album. The Blackening was such a force that I really didn’t see how it could progress without rehashing and reusing the great sounds they had on that album.  I heard the first single ‘Locust’ and was not overly impressed. But I waited (as patiently as I could) for the whole record. It’s worth the wait. The first track ‘I Am Hell’ starts off deceptively slow speed but still massively heavy, and then goes supersonic out of nowhere. ‘This Is The End’ has a similar structure, and is just as badass. Right now my favorite track is ‘Darkness Within’, which sounds like a very personal song for lead singer Robb Flynn about how music has shaped him. The guitars on the whole album are fast, technical, and thrashy. The drumming is fast and solid. The lyrics are poignant and yet brutal to match the harsh delivery, then immediately serene and true. This album does not disappoint at all. Long live the mighty Machine Head.

No comments:

Post a Comment