Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review: Attila - Outlawed


I gave Attila a listen for the first time this past week. I was surprised to find out they are from right here in Atlanta, GA, which was a shock considering I had never heard of them (I’m assuming Wikipedia is right on this). I had no preconceptions coming into this album, and heard the track ‘Light Me Up’ first. The mixture of hardcore metal instrumentation, along with the high and low screaming vocal delivery, drew me in. I was really enjoying this CD. Then, I started actually listening to the lyrics. That’s when the love affair ended. It kills me when a band sounds so great, and the vocal content is so poor. There are songs on this CD that sound like they belong on a cheap rap mix tape that someone would give you on a street corner. Maybe screamy songs about partying, drinking, and smoking blunts are exactly what you dig; I just outgrew it a while ago. This album was a big disappointment in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment