Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday: Jon Hole's Pit

I apologize in advance: Jon sent me this last week, and I was on vacation and had no access to a computer to get this done. I also might have been hung over, but I admit to nothing and since none of you were there, you can't prove it. But anyway, sorry.
--Treph
_________________________


Being at a loss for words is a VERY unusual thing for me, but I've been noticing that as life rolls on, especially the last year or so, it seems to happen a little too much. Is it old age? Stress? Life in general? I’d love to really imagine that it was just old age, but that's probably not it. It's a combination of everything, life plus stress plus everything. My body is on a slow decline and all I seem to be able to do is only put it through the ringer more and more. As far as being at a loss for words, exhaustion doesn't help a whole lot. Restoring a fragmented mind is only accomplished with rest. Rest is not easily accomplished when the mind is racing a million miles an hour and there's a broken heart threatening to choke you. What the fuck does any of this have to do with music you ask? Well kids, it's like this...Music = Life. Cheesy? Possibly, but so true. As I write this nonsense up I am blasting the new Molotov Solution Insurrection record. The brutality and aggressive nature of it actually seems to calm me. People ask me a lot how I can stand to listen to stuff that's just beyond brutal or filled with nothing but a seemingly endless barrage of screamed vocals. It’s easy: 90% of everything else out annoys me. Stuff that normally calms others (Interpol, Sublime, etc.) actually pisses me off. I really can’t explain it. It's not these bands lack talent or anything, it's just the nature of their music aggravates me. I found out ages ago that music, heavy music in general, was what my soul seemed to need to feed off of. It started with hearing Helloween back in the 7th grade, then graduated to Judas Priest and Metallica until finally the sounds of the mighty Pantera emerged. Not only could this heavy as balls, groove laden music pump me up and energize me, it would actually help me sleep. Yes, it's true. I would fall asleep to A Vulgar Display Of Power on repeat. This is something my brothers and I have talked about periodically throughout the years. We've actually had people tell us that they ‘outgrew’ metal and hardcore. Outgrew? Seriously? Amazing. We came to the conclusion that it is something that's within you. Either you like it, understand it and love it, or you don't. This kind of goes back to an earlier rant I had about people not being aware of the music that surrounds them. It's actually pretty stupid. I can see broadening your musical tastes, but to say you outgrew a certain genre is just ridiculous. You may not have an understanding of newer stuff but to denounce it all? Incomprehensible. As you can tell by this point, I'm not at a loss for words here anymore, am I? Why? Music. Without music around me I think I would snap and kill. Yeah. Go fuck yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment