Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Jeffrey Nothing - The New Psychodalia


This is the first solo release from Jeffrey Nothing, one of the vocalists from the band Mushroomhead. After listening to Mushroomhead for years, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this album, so I decided to enter this with a clean slate and see what happened. The first thing to note: this is definitely not as heavy as Mushroomhead gets. Jeffrey is responsible for the clean vocals in the band, so this makes sense. The album seems to flow through different tempos and ideas that could probably never be fully expressed in his other band. I find myself drawing comparisons to Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson when I listen to this, but those comparisons craft their ideas much better. This just feels too stripped down and lacking some pieces that would make the songs whole. It feels like there are holes in parts and the feeling that is trying to be achieved never has the possibility of fully surfacing. It’s an interesting listen, but I don’t see myself going back for any seconds on this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment