Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Suffokate - Return To Despair


California’s Suffokate have a new album out already (it came out last week…I didn’t have a chance to get to it). This album is a great mix of thrashy metal and hardcore breakdowns. Normally this would not work great together and would lean too far to one genre, and from hearing some of their previous work, Suffokate did lean harder toward hardcore. This album does a much better job of infusing the metal and thrash elements in with the previous hardcore-heavy model to create a very catchy album to hear. The vocals switch between a high rasp and a brutal growl, but it fits well with the brutality going on behind it. I sit here listening to the album, catching myself nodding my head and tapping my foot. Yeah, it’s heavy and brutal, but it’s putting a good smile on my face, and that’s what I look for in music. This is definitely one to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment